The Best Bike For Me !
Posted On May 24, 2010
Every now and then the “do I need/want a new bicycle” syndrome rears its head.
If I actually buy a new bicycle it will be titanium. I personally know of one tragedy (death) and two or three found fractures in the frame before any serious injury, from carbon fiber bicycles. I understand some are built more reliably that others. I also have a rational or irrational concern with bicycles built in China.
That being said:
My current bike, a 2003 Litespeed Tuscany (titanium) is a good bicycle. I like it. It is on the heavy side, about 20-22 lbs.
There are some real pluses to this bicycle, however:
- Since I usually ride with my wife and she is not quite as strong a rider as I am, there is no issue with my current bicycle.
- In the groups I ride with my ability level on my Litespeed puts in the top 25% to 50% of the riders, depending on who is out that day.
- The bike is extremely comfortable. The geometry is right for me.
The rationals, legitimate or not for looking for a new bike are:
- At faster speeds or hillier rides I do need to work hard at times to generate the output I desire. This, however, could also be a plus.
- Life it short. I can afford a new bicycle. Why not?
- A new bike may be a lot expensive than losing five more pounds, but it is easier :).
For now, these are just thoughts bouncing around. Should I get serious I actually have to find a manufacturer that builds titanium bikes in the US, Canada or Western Europe and has a size with a 51 cm top tube.
Anyone else out there going through this process?